We would love to hear about your recent experience. Please share any pictures and review of the place you visited. We greatly appreciate your feedback!
Elizabeth Fort is a 17th century star fort remaining today in the city of Cork, Ireland. It is located to the south of the city center and stands on a site that has been fortified since as early as 1275. The fortress is octagonal in shape with walls that are up to 4 meters thick and 20 meters high. Inside you can find numerous historical artifacts from its past life, including cannons, armory, ammunition stores and much more.
A visit to this majestic castle will give you an insight into its storied history, with highlights such as a restored magazine hall with gun emplacements, barracks and guardhouses all around the ramparts of the fort. You can also take advantage of special guided tours where you’ll get exclusive access to areas not normally open to visitors as well as plenty of fascinating stories about Elizabeth’s past inhabitants!
Plan your visit
Elizabeth Fort in Cork City, Ireland is a must-visit destination for any history enthusiast! Here are some tips and tricks to help you plan ahead of your visit:
- Make sure to book entry tickets online in advance as the fort is popular and can get busy during peak season.
- Check the website for opening times so that you don’t miss out on any key attractions.
- Try visiting early during the day if possible, as this will allow you more time to explore all areas of the fort without crowds getting in your way.
- Don’t forget to bring comfortable walking shoes - there are lots of steps at Elizabeth Fort!
- Bring along a camera or smartphone - it’s an incredible place with lots of photo opportunities!
Be the first one to write a review or share your experience here!